Page 17 of 58 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: Mouse vs. tablet

Quote Originally Posted by gorkamorka View Post
    Just went ahead an bullied my employer into buying me one for work.

So Now I'm the proud user of a Wacom intuos3 (A5 size). So far it's working out alright. I do have a problem. The GIMP will not let me change the setting for the pen. If I go into the main setting applet for the table and tell it to change the pen settings for GIMP it will tell me it's changed it, but when I go into GIMP it won't listen to what I told it and jut behave like it's on default setting. But the funny thing is that it's only the pen that does this, not the quick buttons on the tablet.

Any idea why?
    I don't know enough about the GIMP to help, but I can say that I have two styluses and a mouse and PS knows which one I put on the tablet without fail. I have to believe that GIMP does the same. Do you have to save the setting as a different brush before you use it perhaps?
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    The Wacom brushes are PS brushes created to duplicate various artistic brushes better than the default ones. I would suggest you definitely try out each of the stylus nib types to find the one that feels the best to you. There is definitely a difference between them and you may find one that works better than the others.

Given my needs, do you think the Intuos is worth $100 more? (I get pretty price sensitive over $30 difference). Basically I'm trying to figure out my opportunity cost. What future "learning" or "ability" am I sacrificing to get the Bamboo? Not necessarily the cool functions I get out of the Intuos, but whether I'd be losing something as an artist if I spring for the cheaper model and keep it for 5 years, gaining artistic skill.

I have a WACOM Bamboo, and I love it. I only use it for the things I would have used colored pencils for on paper, but that's really what it's for, right? I tried using just the stylus to create a map, but the strokes don't look realistic enough when attempting to fill an entire area, so I switched styles.

I tried using the WACOM "mouse" as my mouse for awhile, but I quickly went back to my G5 for everyday applications. Does anyone actually use the mouse that came with their WACOM pad? Mine is now collecting dust on a shelf :/

I didn't read the whole thread, so sorry if this has been answered:

I see mention of these WACOM brushes, and it makes me curious. Where can I get my hands on them?

I've seen people use their WACOM to make very realistic looking "paintings", but when I try to do it, the brushes in PS just don't look realistic. Are these WACOM brushes the missing link in my attempts?

Personally I am glad I went with the Intuos. I haven't yet grown into the "additional features", but having them has allowed me to push myself to getting skilled enough to use them. I viewed the purchase as a long term investment that I would never have to upgrade (until the come out with some out of this world super tech ).

The brushes are very artistic so if you are looking for actual "paintings" you probably want to find the Wacom brushes because they are extremely close to using actual brushes.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    I don't know enough about the GIMP to help, but I can say that I have two styluses and a mouse and PS knows which one I put on the tablet without fail. I have to believe that GIMP does the same. Do you have to save the setting as a different brush before you use it perhaps?
    That is my guess as well. But I can't find any simple way to set it in GIMP. Does anyone have any experience with this? Please?
    ---
    Gorkamorka

Quote Originally Posted by CBDroege View Post
    I have a WACOM Bamboo, and I love it. I only use it for the things I would have used colored pencils for on paper, but that's really what it's for, right? I tried using just the stylus to create a map, but the strokes don't look realistic enough when attempting to fill an entire area, so I switched styles.

I tried using the WACOM "mouse" as my mouse for awhile, but I quickly went back to my G5 for everyday applications. Does anyone actually use the mouse that came with their WACOM pad? Mine is now collecting dust on a shelf :/

I didn't read the whole thread, so sorry if this has been answered:

I see mention of these WACOM brushes, and it makes me curious. Where can I get my hands on them?

I've seen people use their WACOM to make very realistic looking "paintings", but when I try to do it, the brushes in PS just don't look realistic. Are these WACOM brushes the missing link in my attempts?
    Not sure of the style you are going for, but using the smudge and blur tools can help with blending to a great degreee. Play with the rate and even the brush shape.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by gorkamorka View Post
    Just went ahead an bullied my employer into buying me one for work.

So Now I'm the proud user of a Wacom intuos3 (A5 size). So far it's working out alright. I do have a problem. The GIMP will not let me change the setting for the pen. If I go into the main setting applet for the table and tell it to change the pen settings for GIMP it will tell me it's changed it, but when I go into GIMP it won't listen to what I told it and jut behave like it's on default setting. But the funny thing is that it's only the pen that does this, not the quick buttons on the tablet.

Any idea why?
    I am not sure what you mean by this. Where are you changing the settings that are not sticking?
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Bedwyr View Post
    Considering taking the plunge. 4x6 doesn't do it for me (I remember writing itty bitty print to get formulae on an index card for exams ).
    I found the 4x5 to be plenty large enough. If you think about pencil and paper sketches, you rarely make large strokes. The same is true using a wacom. Your strokes are confined to a few inches (usually much less than that). I'm glad I didn't get a bigger, bulkier unit.
    Last edited by Asharad; 02-04-2009 at 10:47 PM.

For those who are super cheap and are electrical engineers (or just very good with electronic stuff) and have some time an around $200, this guy has made a Cintiq style tablet/screen combo. I REALLY wish I had the electronically know how to cobble together something like this....

Also, for those who might be in the market for a tablet, you could try Circuit City in the next few weeks since they are going out of business. You might get lucky and find a tablet for 40% off. Just make sure you verify the contents if the box is open since floor models may not have everything(and they CANT haggle with the price). They were would not work with me on the price of a Intous 3 (229 regular) they were selling for 129, but it was in a bag (scratched up a bit since it was the floor model) with no software or drivers and no pen. I would have snapped it up if it had everything for the price, but not if I have to spend more money getting a pen for it....
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Page 17 of 58 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast