Page 23 of 54 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: Mouse vs. tablet

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    There is no rotate canvas in CS3 or earlier; it was introduced with CS4 and its OpenGL acceleration feature. Unfortunately, that particular feature has been one of the biggest sources of problems with CS4. An awful lot of users don't even have the option of rotating their canvas because their video cards slow things down instead of speeding them up.

Good to know.

I just got my Intous 3 for christmas and am having a hard time getting use to the feel of it. A big problem is the rotate canvas deal. On paper, I am constantly turning the sheet of paper around all different directions - but now I can not. (I use PS CS3 btw). My mapping stemmed from ConquerClub - but I've since moved on. I still map, and think I've gotten very good with the mouse and layer styles. I'm trying to figure out if the tablet is going to make that much of a difference for mapping. Sure - I bet it kicks ass for graphic artists sketching out nudes, but it might not be worth the trouble for maps.

Does anyone have a sample of a map they've created with a tablet? Or does anyone have any practical examples of how they incorporate the tablet into map creations (ie. I think it will surely help drawing smooth borders - but I've become very good at that with the mouse).

Thanks guys -

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

All my maps are done with a tablet and I wouldn't map without one. It makes an enormous difference to my life.

The biggest difference I find in my mapping is the use of pressure sensitivity. I also find it useful for drawing borders but it sounds like your mouse skills are up to scratch for that.

For pressure sensitivity I generally use it in two different ways.

• Line thickness.
    Use set the brush size to be sensitive to pen pressure and you'll get nice hand drawn lines that naturally vary in thickness.

An example that shows the results you get from this is here:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3668

• Opacity
    You can set brush opacity to be sensitive to pen pressure. This allows for natural shading. I used this a lot whilst creating my challenge entry for this month:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...6016#post96016

You can get a lot fancier with all sorts of sensitivity options and custom brushes - certainly worth checking out. I'd suggest firing up PS and running through all the normal brushes with your Intuos plugged in. I think you'll find a lot of things change in the way they work from when you used them with a mouse.

As for rotating the canvas - it sucks not to have the rotate canvas feature. A slower option is actually to rotate your image. Image->Rotation in CS4 does it, and I'm sure there will be a similar option in CS3 but it will take a while on large images. As this applies a permanent transformation it may degrade your image too as it's actually got to interpolate a new set of pixels when it does this so be warned and try it out for your workflow first before doing this with a map you really care about.

I just finally got myself to buying a Bamboo pen&tablet because there's been a long break from cartography and I'm sure that I'll be mapping more on the holidays. It feels great to feel really drawing with that pad.

This thread goes on forever. Do we have a quick breakdown for someone looking to buy a tablet?

I have it in mind to pick one up in the next month or so but no good idea what I need. I do not have thousands to spend on one so are there some tablet "rules" I should look for when I go to purchase? If need be I will save up for it.

I am just beginning to get into art on the PC and do not know how far I will go with it. If I really like it I may eventually try to make some money from it but for now it's more hobby. I guess I can upgrade later but I would like to get some good mileage from my first purchase if possible.

Maybe we need a survey of what tablets folks use and how happy they are with them? Then again, this might be an easily answered question for those of you in the know.

Thanks all!
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Member Facebook Connected SandmanNet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    This thread goes on forever. Do we have a quick breakdown for someone looking to buy a tablet?

I have it in mind to pick one up in the next month or so but no good idea what I need. I do not have thousands to spend on one so are there some tablet "rules" I should look for when I go to purchase? If need be I will save up for it.
    I was asked to chime in about the Wacom Cintiq, of which I own three. I have the big 21" Cintiq at home and at work and I use it for drawing maps on (and more). I have drawn some maps from the Myst world, as you can see here: http://sandman.net/myst/ - There is also a picture of the Cintiq and the map of the Selentic Age.

Having used Wacom tablets for many years, and owned many different incarnations of them, I can certainly certify to their superiority over the mouse. But the problem with the tablet has always been hand->eye coordination. You've grown used to the mouse for so many years that it's coordinated 1:1 with your interactions, but a pen on a tablet is not 1:1 since your hand holding a pen has a 1:1 relation to your years using it on a piece of paper and actually looking at the paper.

Enter the Cintiq, where you actually draw directly on the screen. hand/eye-coordination is 1:1 and you have full Intous pen support (1024 levels of pressure, full tilt support and so on). Needless to say, it's awesome! Anyone that can afford it and are interested in drawing on a computer should really get one. And there is a smaller model that's cheaper.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I'm currently using an Intuos4, 4x6 (though actual measured dimensions are closer to 5x7, really). I am VERY happy with it, and would recommend it to anyone. Ran me .. 250-300ish, if i recall.

Most people seem to agree that Wacom is definitely the way to go, so put your money there if you possibly can. Most people also seem to agree that for typical use, the lower end Bamboo is quite acceptable (and really, i can't think of a reason not to get one, unless you can justify the higher cost for a higher end model).

Also, size is a factor. Mine is perfect for me size-wise, any larger and i'd have to start using large arm movements that are inconvenient for the way I like to use it

Hope that bit of summary helps you.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

If you're not sure how far you'll go with it I think you can't go wrong with the Wacom Bamboo. I've never had one but I did have a Graphire and it was fine for me most of the time. You can get them as pen-only, touch-only, or pen-and-touch. If you've got Windows 7 I guess I'd recommend pen-and-touch as you can also use it for general navigation and take advantage of some of that new OS' nifty features. If not, I'd recommend pen-only. Links:

http://www.wacom.com/bamboo/bamboo_pen_touch.php
    http://www.wacom.com/bamboo/bamboo_pen.php

I'm using Intuos4 and highly recommend if if you're sure the investment will pay off. I had an old Intuos (no number) for years and it was well worth what I spent on it. Link:

http://www.wacom.com/intuos/

The smaller model might be better unless you're a "classicly trained" artist that likes to draw from the shoulder or elbow...it can definitely be a hassle to use the larger pad if you're a "wrist sketcher" like me. My first pad was a 8"x12" (or something like that) Wacom (don't even remember the model). It was cool but tiring for me to use because of that.

Hope it helps.
    M

[edit]If you win the lottery you might consider the Cintiq. I will rob a bank someday and get one of these things! Link:

http://www.wacom.com/cintiq/

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotemax View Post
    I'm currently using an Intuos4, 4x6 (though actual measured dimensions are closer to 5x7, really). I am VERY happy with it, and would recommend it to anyone. Ran me .. 250-300ish, if i recall.

Most people seem to agree that Wacom is definitely the way to go, so put your money there if you possibly can. Most people also seem to agree that for typical use, the lower end Bamboo is quite acceptable (and really, i can't think of a reason not to get one, unless you can justify the higher cost for a higher end model).

Also, size is a factor. Mine is perfect for me size-wise, any larger and i'd have to start using large arm movements that are inconvenient for the way I like to use it
    I just need to say Ditto, wife got me it for xmas and I while I am just learning to use it I already wonder how I did things with a mouse. Even in size we have the same opinion

thanks for the post torstan. Those links you shared are great - especially that first one. I never even considered using the tablet pressure for line thickness - but right after you posted that, a friend also suggested the same thing.

as far as rotating - agree that rotating the image is a bad idea. Lot's of people say that they get used to not rotating the canvas, and adapt - so I'll just have to see what happens.

Well - i'm trying to get use to this and I think me likes Here's what I doodled tonight. looks like a tablet drawing eh ?

Page 23 of 54 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast