Page 4 of 54 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Mouse vs. tablet

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice

Post Definitely good for beginner

There is not a lot of info out there on the DigiPro (made by Taiwanese company UC-Logic) but what I found was positive. You won't get the tilt sensitivity of the Intuos 3 (the Graphire doesn't have it either) but other than that I've read they're functionally similar. Same sensitivity levels, etc. And unlike Arcana (he's a little trendy still...makes good money and no kids yet :wink: ) and some others, I DON'T think the Wacom is the only real choice. This seems to be put together pretty well. For the price, might be a perfect tablet for a beginner or hobbyist.

Dang, I think I convinced myself! I might buy one soon, just to see what you get for the money. However, I'll probably scour Ebay for a really good deal (although its cheap enough at retail prices to make that almost unnecessary). If it will quell the carps in my tunnels, then it might be worth it.

Not necessarily a tool for our 2D needs, but as a 3D tool.... Woot!

It starts at $59 US.

http://www.3dconnexion.com/
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Ok, so I found out today that I am getting a sizable bonus from work. I think it is time to get myself a Christmas present. Let's just say that money is not really an object, but I don't want to get something I'll only use a couple features of.

So, what do all you experienced tablet users recommend model wise? I'm getting a Wacom so we don't need to worry about brand, but I need to know which model and also what dimension to get.

Basic usage guidelines:
    • There is a good chance I'll be mobile with the tablet, but I don't want to set that as a restriction yet.
    • I'll be using it with PhotoShop, Poser, Bryce, Carrera, MapTool and hopefully other standard applications.
    • I'll be using it for hand drawing stuff as well as using vector based programs.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

I've had a WACOM for about seven months. My only suggestion would be to get as big as you are comfortable putting on your desk (or lap for that matter). I typically only pull it out when I'm drawing, and I typically re-arrange the desk slightly (by pushing the keyboard further away so that typing on it almost becomes irritating) in order to have the tablet right in front of me.

One comment: It takes some getting used to (hand-eye issues), but once that is resolved, you will never go back.

I'm not too concerned about the hand-eye issues. I was a CAD draftsman for many years and used a puck for many of those so I'm expecting those old muscles to reactivate.

i got a wacom bamboo for my bday, and while sometimes i would like something a bit bigger, its never caused me a great deal of grief... and the size actually comes in handy when i bring it around with my laptop...

as for how it works... i find hand drawing is almost impossible with a mouse... and while i'm only a beginner or average in my artistic ability, i find i can draw things fairly well with the tablet (as accurate as they'd need to be for a map i'd say) i think for serious map making... its almost a must... even just for the pressure sensitivity... the "hand drawn" look its pretty impossible with a mouse, but with a tablet, its a piece of cake...

for you... i'd probably go a bit bigger then a bamboo (5x7) since for real drawing it's usefull to not have to move around to get things right... and if price is not that big of a deal, it'll be worth it in the long run
    Photoshop, CC3, ArcGIS, Bryce, Illustrator, Maptool

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get used to using the tablet+pen (oh yeah, it finally arrived ). It's way stranger than a mouse. I've tried using it on a town map I'm making, but it just feels... Awkward? Anyways, a PM will suffice
    And our time is flyin', see the candle burnin' low
    Is the new world rising, from the shambles of the old
    ~The Rover - Led Zeppelin

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Yep. Use it for everything for about a week or two... all your browsing and applications... (you will miss your mouse wheel for sure) so you can get used to where ever the point of that pen hits your tablet ... it hits your desktop/screen .... don't try dragging the cursor like you would a mouse ... pick it up (up.. further) and then place it at the spot you want to hit.... after a while of doing it this way you'll notice you can put that pen tip just about where you want every time....

also... just open up gimp/ps or whatever you favorite application for drawing in, and just doodle away ... don't try to make anything specific (cause if you're like me, it won't start to look like anything recognizable anyway for another couple weeks) just scribble around ... draw some stuff... practice some techniques... get used to pen pressure and what not.... that helps as well...

That's about all the advice I can give ya on it....
    (Mine will ((Cross fingers)) arrive tomorrow !!! OH and how I've missed having a tablet this last month.... like my hand falling off!!)

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What I did is worked specifically with images that require a lot of dodge and burn. Set the amount way low and just keep dodging and burning until it looks right...

Do it on duplicated layers so as you improve you can cut away the parts that didn't come out quite right, and build on the ones that did. These non-drawing tools will help you get a feel for the pen without actually doing any drawing...

Del's idea is pretty good sounding too.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

I had found a set of tablet training exercises that I can't locate anymore....

The gist was to render a series of:

horizontal lines, vertical lines, circles

and practice tracing them with the pen.

Then render a grid of dots and play:

1) connect the dots horizontally
    2) connect the dots vertically
    3) draw an X on each dot
    4) circle each dot.

-Rob A>

Page 4 of 54 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast