Page 45 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647484955 ... LastLast

Thread: Mouse vs. tablet

A friend of mine swears by his Evoluent vertical mouse. Weird looking thing, but he says it helped his mouse-related injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    and it eliminated the numb fingers (pinky and ring) I was developing. -Rob A>
    So that's what's going on with my fingers..
    I was thinking eventually I could use my hand to fling snowballs like a catapult.

This stuff makes me think that those Chinese exercise balls might be a good idea.

If Microsoft doesn't sell them just check out Logitech.com they make all sorts of things: trackballs
    They even have a new mouse that's a touchpad and a mouse all in one.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    For my day job (which involves spending most of the day at the computer) I use a Microsoft trackball which I don't believe they sell anymore:

Attachment 57589

I much prefer it to a mouse, and it eliminated the numb fingers (pinky and ring) I was developing.

I use my Wacom for everything graphic, however...

-Rob A>

I have the exact same trackball... I LOVE it and was so disappointed when MS stopped production on those. I have even looked around a number of times and considered paying 150+ USD for one from Ebay I like the thing that darn much.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Logitech used to make one that was similar, but they stopped selling it, too. The thumb-driven ones and the type with the ball in the center wear me out right quick. I've also considered paying for a new one, but it lacks button 3, which makes it inappropriate for my 3d work.

The tablet can definitely help, but it comes with its own RSI risk. I find myself getting a little bit of a problem in my largest index finger knuckle from it. Moving back and forth between the mouse and pen helps, as does using correct posture and setting the desk height correctly.

I also have found some trouble from having to reach too far for my keyboard because I like to place the tablet between the keyboard and the edge of the desk. So when I type more than a few characters, I have to remember to bring the keyboard forward. Otherwise, I start to stress my shoulders too much, which expresses itself in additional wrist pain.

The fellow who sits next to me swears by a mouse that has the sensor under his index finger. I'm not sure exactly how it changes things, but he says his wrists feel better using it. He also switched to a thumb-driven trackball at home, so he's using his hands differently there, too.

I think maybe I'll start saving for one of those vertical mice; I keep hearing good things about them.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected Maezar's Avatar

I use both. There are many things a tablet is not suited for, but then, a mouse will never give you the feel of a pressure sensitive pen!

Quote Originally Posted by Maezar View Post
    I use both. There are many things a tablet is not suited for, but then, a mouse will never give you the feel of a pressure sensitive pen!
    I agree in a sense because some drawing you need a tablet and others need a mouse, which for me is based on application and type of drawing.

I use this one: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-trackball.jpg

But too bad this is out of production already.

Has anyone been successful at a map using a tablet without the pen. Just wondering because I have an android tablet and wondering if anyone has a favorite app?

I've looked into drawing on a tablet computer off and on. I'm not the best "traditional artist" (if that's even a thing), so I haven't made any real investment into drawing apps. But from what I can tell, there are some stellar ones out there. I have an iPad though, so I'm not really familiar with any of the Android ones.

That said, if I were to start drawing on my iPad, I'd invest in one of those bluetooth battery powered stylus things. The ones that, when enabled, disable finger touches and only register where the stylus is being used. Would mimic the functionality of the really awesome wacom touchscreen monitors.

But if you do decide to go this route, please share your findings!

Thanks I will look into it WillyWombat. Has anyone used the sketchbook application?

Page 45 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647484955 ... LastLast