Page 6 of 58 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: Mouse vs. tablet

I'm not sure what he means by slow...I find it as responsive as the pen.

I just set the mouse to "mouse" mode though, so it tracks like a mouse, rather than mapping each tablet coordinate to a screen coordinate (which is how "pen" mode works).

-Rob A>

Ah, very good to know. Thanks for the info!
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Ah maybe I've got the mouse set to pen mode, maybe that's why it's slow? If I could use the wacom mouse as the default that would mean one fewer wire on the table. I'll look into it tonight.

I ordered it last night!! Woot! It is coming from Washington so I expect it early next week. I can't wait!
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

The tablet was waiting for me when I got home tonight! Woot! He's a beaut too. I had it up and running with ease and started right in seeing what it could do. Office 2003, PhotoShop and Poser all proved to benefit greatly from the tablet. I had a ton of fun actually writing in Word and watching it get converted to text as I went. PhotoShop is going to take some configuring, but since I have two sets of buttons I basically have 10 different things I can record in plus the pressure settings. It was amazing how intuitive manipulating a 3d image is in Poser when you don't have to translate movements to the mouse and can use a more natural movement of a pen. All in all it was a great starting experience. I'm taking it with me to work tomorrow to get more comfortable with it.

The various issues that were stated above did not ring true for me which I was very relived to discover. It was very intuitive, and I now completely understand why folks were saying they loved their tablets.

Over the next few days, I'll be configuring it for each of the apps it will be used with. I'm particularly curious about Campaign Cartographer 3 and how that will work as the templates I've seen for it assumed a normal aspect ratio whereas my template is widescreen format. I'm hoping that it won't present a problem at all.

Sweeeetness, RP. Now let's see those maps start flowing!! No excuses anymore, buddy!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Yea, but then that means I'll be subjecting you all to my horrible mapping skills. Not to mention my mean and nasty critiques as I rip my map apart.

Here's some interesting news for those of you looking at tablets... They dropped the price for the Cintiq21UX by $500!! Sure... it figures... If you want to read the announcement go here:
    http://recp.rm05.net/servlet/MailVie...TQ5MjE0S0&mt=1

I finally bought a tablet, 6x8 and I think it's Genius. Can't wait for it to arrive, since it was off eBay.
    And our time is flyin', see the candle burnin' low
    Is the new world rising, from the shambles of the old
    ~The Rover - Led Zeppelin

i got a wacom bamboo for my bday, and while sometimes i would like something a bit bigger, its never caused me a great deal of grief... and the size actually comes in handy when i bring it around with my laptop...

as for how it works... i find hand drawing is almost impossible with a mouse... and while i'm only a beginner or average in my artistic ability, i find i can draw things fairly well with the tablet (as accurate as they'd need to be for a map i'd say) i think for serious map making... its almost a must... even just for the pressure sensitivity... the "hand drawn" look its pretty impossible with a mouse, but with a tablet, its a piece of cake...

for you... i'd probably go a bit bigger then a bamboo (5x7) since for real drawing it's usefull to not have to move around to get things right... and if price is not that big of a deal, it'll be worth it in the long run
    Photoshop, CC3, ArcGIS, Bryce, Illustrator, Maptool

Page 6 of 58 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast