Page 7 of 58 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: Mouse vs. tablet

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get used to using the tablet+pen (oh yeah, it finally arrived ). It's way stranger than a mouse. I've tried using it on a town map I'm making, but it just feels... Awkward? Anyways, a PM will suffice
    And our time is flyin', see the candle burnin' low
    Is the new world rising, from the shambles of the old
    ~The Rover - Led Zeppelin

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Yep. Use it for everything for about a week or two... all your browsing and applications... (you will miss your mouse wheel for sure) so you can get used to where ever the point of that pen hits your tablet ... it hits your desktop/screen .... don't try dragging the cursor like you would a mouse ... pick it up (up.. further) and then place it at the spot you want to hit.... after a while of doing it this way you'll notice you can put that pen tip just about where you want every time....

also... just open up gimp/ps or whatever you favorite application for drawing in, and just doodle away ... don't try to make anything specific (cause if you're like me, it won't start to look like anything recognizable anyway for another couple weeks) just scribble around ... draw some stuff... practice some techniques... get used to pen pressure and what not.... that helps as well...

That's about all the advice I can give ya on it....
    (Mine will ((Cross fingers)) arrive tomorrow !!! OH and how I've missed having a tablet this last month.... like my hand falling off!!)

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What I did is worked specifically with images that require a lot of dodge and burn. Set the amount way low and just keep dodging and burning until it looks right...

Do it on duplicated layers so as you improve you can cut away the parts that didn't come out quite right, and build on the ones that did. These non-drawing tools will help you get a feel for the pen without actually doing any drawing...

Del's idea is pretty good sounding too.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Just to toss another piece of advice in. There is a tablet preferences option window that allows you to set all the characteristics of the tablet and pens/mouse. I would encourage you to take a look in there and play with some of the settings to get the feel and action to your liking. Also, you can set the pen to act like a mouse in different applications/windows. I set my pen to be mouse like when I am on the desktop and then act like a pen when I am in certain applications. This allows me to easily work with the applications in a way that I am used to. However, the more I use it the more comfortable I have gotten with the point to point mapping as Del mentioned.

Really the best advice is to do as Arcana and Del said and just use it for everything. I would highly recommend using the "input training applications" that you already have. Solitaire, Mine Sweeper, Free Cell, etc. Games are excellent training tools for learning how to use input devices as you aren't that worried about the "outcome" and they use all the different features of the input device you are using.

I had found a set of tablet training exercises that I can't locate anymore....

The gist was to render a series of:

horizontal lines, vertical lines, circles

and practice tracing them with the pen.

Then render a grid of dots and play:

1) connect the dots horizontally
    2) connect the dots vertically
    3) draw an X on each dot
    4) circle each dot.

-Rob A>

3) draw an X on each dot
    4) circle each dot.

-Rob A>

Echo, Echo, Echo!
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post

3) draw an X on each dot
    4) circle each dot.

-Rob A>
    Would you be referring to this:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost...21&postcount=3

Actually this link is better because it lists the other great tutorials and tips

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthre...f=199&t=369421
    Last edited by RPMiller; 09-08-2008 at 12:10 PM.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

yeah... great links RP ... you've been hit with the rep stick again

Page 7 of 58 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast