Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First Map Post

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Damn, you are right. Had an idea for making them look a bit more like ink. Here:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ZhentMap.png 
Views:	131 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	588

Those are more 'inkish', but the edges should be lighter than the centers which is the reverse of how they look now.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Always another criticism

I'm not sure this is the case. Watercolours definitely go the other way - with the darkest area being around the edges. Have a look at this.

How could we reach perfection without it? Don't worry I'll eventually start posting some stuff so everyone can pick on me.

If they are watercolor dashes than what you have will work, if they are colored ink, than it is the other way around. I thought they were ink. Having taken many a drafting class, me and ink have a history. Especially regarding the side of my hand.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Okay, well it is watercolour now then!

I've done a bit of inking myself and I thought I remembered it being that way round. You've almost got me to go and get my brush out... Maybe over the weekend. What's the opinion on the new lines between the features. I'm not entirely convinced but I can't quite see what to do about it.

Artist inking isn't the same as draftsman inking. Draftsman don't use brushes for example. Well, modern draftsman anyway. But I'm pretty sure you would still find the center to not be diluted like watercolor. After all the point of inking is to make strong black lines.

I'm not sure which "new lines between the features" you are referring to.

Fair enough.

Sorry for the lack of description. I mean the coastlines, for example the line between Safe Haven and the Duergar fortress.

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Fair enough.

Sorry for the lack of description. I mean the coastlines, for example the line between Safe Haven and the Duergar fortress.
    I think the coastline lines look very hand drawn and fit the rest of the map for the most part. I would think that they would more closely match the dashed lines, unless the dashes were added to an existing map of course.

Coming along nicely! I like the watercolor dashes (although they could use a blur of some degree to drop the sharp edges.)

The coasts are better now, much better.

Great work.
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    On a separate question. I know that photoshop people can shrink their selections by a given number of pixels. Does anyone know how to do this in Gimp? Thanks in advance.
    Sorry for the delay (and in case you didn't find the answer yourself) it is under selection->shrink.

-Rob A>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast