Thread: Copyright Law is About To Change - How it Affects You

Info Copyright Law is About To Change - How it Affects You

Hi Guild,

This just came across my radar today and I thought it important enough a topic to bring before everyone's attention. Congress is considering a massive overhaul of copyright law in the U.S. right now that would virtually strip most artists of infringement protections and place the burden of securing copyright protections upon them. This will make it much easier for third parties to use an artists work commercially without compensating them for it. The decision will be made this coming Thursday the 23'd of July. Here is a link to more information on this topic. This decision will affect all professional and amateur artists in this community who earn income for their art, and I'd encourage people to take action on (see the link for ways to do so).

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

UPDATE: Apparently the site must have taken this link down. Anyway, here is the link to Will Terry's podcast on this, and here is the link to the Copyright Office, the other links I can't remember. Also, here are links to two online petitions I found attempting to halt this from becoming a bill:

Petition 1;
    Petition 2.
    Last edited by arsheesh; 07-20-2015 at 08:29 PM.

I was reading about this earlier today. It's pitiful.
    Once done with work today I have to write a letter myself.

I'm still listening to the podcast. One consideration of something I am doing now, makes me wonder if I'm better protected (or will be protected). Right now all the maps I create, I am publishing them myself (so I am both the "author" and the publisher). I'm wondering if I have a stronger ownership of my art, than those artists who are not publishers?
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 07-20-2015 at 05:55 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

That was something I was just thinking about myself GP. That would be interesting to know more about.
    I would think that you would but I suppose it might depend on some other factors.

I suspect this is going to hit general illustrators far worse than more genre specific illustrators aka cartographers.
    There are far more limited uses for a very specific map than there are for other more general illustrations and photographs.
    Though the **** storm will inevitably dump on everyone at some level or another.

edit - I didn't know the Guild had an auto-censor feature.

Banned User

It might be worthwhile to start putting clear copyright watermarks on everything you post online, too. At least make them hard to use for anything unauthorized.

How does this affect people outside the US? Our works are protected elsewhere but not in the States (nor in the UK apparently) unless we specifically register the work? Isn't it illegal to copy without asking since we still have protection in our own country?

Yea, good idea Chick, use watermarks and show your love for the Congress...

The link doesn't seem to work, but thanks for bringing this up, arsheesh. Wow. That is just ... truly saddening.
    Last edited by Chashio; 07-20-2015 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    The link doesn't seem to work, but thanks for bringing this up, arsheesh. Wow. That is just ... truly saddening.
    Huh, weird, I guess the site must have taken this link down. Anyway, here is the link to Will Terry's podcast on this, and here is the link to the Copyright Office, the other links I can't remember.

I feel a bit of vindication for putting my logo and copyright stuff on my work.
    It can still be photoshopped out i guess but at least it's more challenging.

Here is what I have seen today - http://graphicpolicy.com/2015/07/20/...fore-congress/
    which tells a different story. Arsheesh - I saw the same vid so I was thinking the same as you.

Here's the report if anyone wants to read a 234 page government report on Orphan works proposals....
    http://copyright.gov/orphan/reports/...-works2015.pdf

Another good link - http://the1709blog.blogspot.com/2015...ng-rid-of.html
    Last edited by J.Edward; 07-20-2015 at 08:49 PM.

Blog Entries

--- THE VIDEO IS A FAKE!!!!!!

you do know this is ALL!!!!!!!! FUD!!!!!
    it is a misinterpretation of a idea that someone ROYALLY MISSED THE BOAT ON
    and ROYALLY MISUNDERSTOOD !!!!!

that is NOT!!!! happening .

the vid is 100% FUD

Now the copyright office WANTS CONGRESS!!!!!!! ( so this will NEVER HAPPEN ) to allow orphan works to be used
    the LIBRARY OF CONGRESS is having PROBLEMS in PRESERVING WORKS do to the orphan stattice

but the FOR PAY registering is PURE FUD!!!!!!

the orphan work PROBLEM stems from keeping MICKY MOUSE from becoming PUBLIC DOMAIN

all the retroactive extensions CAUSED THIS PROBLEM -- CONGRESS IS AT FAULT FOR CAUSING THIS PROBLEM !!!!

14 years with a 14 extension is what was set forth with the creation of the us copyright office WORKED!!!! for almost 190 years
    !!!!!!! not the LIFE plus 70 YEARS !!!!!!!

what the copyright office wants is to set up a list of orphan works that ARE being used SO IF !!! the creator CAN be found THEN AND only then can something be worked out . But CONGRESS!!! has to do this , so it will never happen

but to make this MESS even MORE MESSY
    TPP
    trans pacific partnership
    a TRADE deal that has PATENT AND COPYRIGHT language in it that will TIE the hands and GAG the mouths of
    1) congress
    2) the executive office
    3) the judiciary

a trade deal that null and voids all 3 branches of govt .

so that video is PURE FUD!!!!!!
    Last edited by johnvanvliet; 07-21-2015 at 12:14 AM.
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---