Thread: WIP fantasy map

Post WIP fantasy map

I started a map a little while ago for one of my fantasy worlds, and this is what I have so far.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map.png 
Views:	112 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	82293

You can tell it's not quite finished, if nothing else than just by the fact that half of the places are still called UNNAMED. I was looking for maybe some critique for it, though…? I feel as if I'm missing something or if there's something I can do better, but I'm not totally sure what that is.

One of the things I was wondering was how to (or if I should at all) distinguish between the different countries. I have simple boring lines right now, as you can see, but that just looks so…boring and plain.

And if it's relevant, I use Photoshop.

Nice start, I'd say.
    Good texturing, wonderful subtle colours, great layout.
    Nice choice of icons as well... they are very subtle also, and fit within the map perfectly. Same for the labels and font-style chosen.

I guess the mountains are not finished yet? Let's see how they will fit in.

One thing you might want to consider though is the layout of your rivers. Of course fantasy worlds might provide excuses, but usually rivers do not behave that way. Check out the great thread "How to get your rivers in the right place" to learn more.

Quote Originally Posted by Freodin View Post
    Nice start, I'd say.
    Good texturing, wonderful subtle colours, great layout.
    Nice choice of icons as well... they are very subtle also, and fit within the map perfectly. Same for the labels and font-style chosen.

I guess the mountains are not finished yet? Let's see how they will fit in.

One thing you might want to consider though is the layout of your rivers. Of course fantasy worlds might provide excuses, but usually rivers do not behave that way. Check out the great thread "How to get your rivers in the right place" to learn more.
    Thanks. I had fun figuring out which font worked best and the icons were all fun to draw.

Oooh, thanks. I'll definitely look at that. I admit, I kind of just guessed with the rivers, because I really had no clue. So thanks.

Very nice!

I was thinking the forests might look better with smaller tree icons..

For country borders on photoshop, what I usually do is use a square brush, and in brush options, flatten it so it's thin, make the spacing of the brush wide enough so that each 'rectangles' aren't touching each other, then in shape dynamics do 'Angle' as directions. In the end you should have a dotted line. I think I explained that really badly but I hope you understood.

Overall, very nice so far. Keep it up.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    Very nice!

For country borders on photoshop, what I usually do is use a square brush, and in brush options, flatten it so it's thin, make the spacing of the brush wide enough so that each 'rectangles' aren't touching each other, then in shape dynamics do 'Angle' as directions. In the end you should have a dotted line. I think I explained that really badly but I hope you understood.

I was worried the trees were a little bit.

I think I know what you mean. I shall have to try that. Thanks!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    Very nice!

You can also try working with paths, and stroke them with a square dotted line. That way you can adjust the size and shape of the "square dots" afterwards until you get exactly what you want, AND you can keep tinkering with the path too. Easy-peasy!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Quote Originally Posted by Caenwyr View Post
    You can also try working with paths, and stroke them with a square dotted line. That way you can adjust the size and shape of the "square dots" afterwards until you get exactly what you want, AND you can keep tinkering with the path too. Easy-peasy!
    Oooh, thanks!