Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The World behind the Suns - Commission

Default The World behind the Suns - Commission

Some time ago I was commissioned to make a map for Lena Azami, author of Legend of Bridgeflies. The second edition with the map is published today. Lena was very pleasant to work with and I really enjoyed the process of making the map.

Here's the map:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map of Ki Small.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	2.31 MB 
ID:	92348 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20170215-WA0000.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	160.0 KB 
ID:	92650

About the book:
    "Alexandra Blakeburgh is the next bridgefly keeper. Her status makes her part of an elite group with a history stretching back thousands of years.

On Ki, Khafre, the powerful king of Menes, plans to harness an ancient magic to destroy and resurrect his planet, leaving his loyal subjects the only surviving inhabitants and giving him global rule. Alexandra’s mother, the bridgefly keeper, went to Ki to stop Khafre years ago, only to disappear.

Now it’s Alexandra’s turn. Together with John Von Haven, exiled son of the Upper Menes royal family, Alexandra heads to Ki to end Khafre’s schemes and restore John to his birthright. But with Alexandra lacking the power of a bridgefly keeper, their mission may be as doomed as her mother’s."

As always, let me know what you think!
    Last edited by DanielHasenbos; 02-15-2017 at 04:34 AM.

I really like the forest depiction and the depth you gave to your coasts. In the south, the dried riverbeds are a clever way to show them The icons are really great and the design compass rose is so 30's, I really love it ! Great simple map !
    Last edited by ThomasR; 02-06-2017 at 01:52 PM.

Very nice! Clean and simple, but peculiar. I like too the strange compass rose, and that lonely palm in the desert!

A wonderful B/W map, well done! I especially like how you did the coastlines on this one.

Can't rep you again this soon, sadly, but the sentiment is there.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Nice job once again Dan! Clear and simple, but with all the details in the right places. It definitely looks perfect for print!

Not a fan of the compass rose, but that's just down to taste, as I definitely still think it's well done.

Will rep if I can.

LOL! Everyone has already said what I thought of saying when I was looking at the map, so all I've got left is:

I like it - very alien, as you might expect a map to be if it were from an alien (fantasy) world

And... You're going to have to slow down a bit. I can't spread the rep fast enough!

Very nice job, Daniel! Clean and efficient with a lot of ideas and a great line art.

I also want to compliment your coastal shading. I've been trying to replicate the effect and I haven't been happy with my results. Did you hand-illustrate them all, or automate the process somehow?

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    I also want to compliment your coastal shading. I've been trying to replicate the effect and I haven't been happy with my results. Did you hand-illustrate them all, or automate the process somehow?
    Thank you! The lines along the coast were done by hand. I use a drawing tablet and just draw along the coast very quickly while softly touching the tablet to create very thin and 'jumpy' lines. Some thing I find that helps is to draw very close to the coast along straight parts and very curly and with large curves along the inlets and jagged coasts. But mostly I just don't give it to much thought and go with the flow. I hope that helps (:

Ah, I think my initial question wasn't worded very thoughtfully. I was referring to the lines that emanate from the coast out into the water (and gradually fade as they get further away). I definitely like the on-land coastal lines too, but it's the water lines that impress me the most.

Edit: is there an official name for that artistic styling?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast