Thread: Journey to becoming a DM/Mapping for DnD

Default Journey to becoming a DM/Mapping for DnD

First of all I'd like to welcome you, readers of this text.

I am new in this community, and I haven't even made my introduction Thread yet. That of course will follow but before that happens I'd like to show you why I am here:

My friends and me have decided to play DnD Pen & Paper and I am planning to be a DM in the future. We are starting off with a friend of mine being the DM (she has alot of experience in being just that). So that leaves me time to prepare for my first adventure. In planning this I decided to start off with World Building. Where will the game take place? I wanted to make Maps just for that. So good old me being a traditionalist I got out my Pencils, my rulers and some sheet of paper, and I started off drawing a map:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCXf5_lWAAAWbWc.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	160.5 KB 
ID:	96538

It was the very first town map I ever started to draw. I was okay with it, it wasn't a master piece. But while I was satisfied for the beginning I wanted it to look much better than it does. Thus I looked for mapping tools online and acquired Campaign Cartographer 3 + City Designer 3 & Dungeon Designer 3.

That was yesterday and I started working on my map.

Name:	DCXiGmAXkAAJ4p1.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	131.4 KB 
ID:	96539

That is how far I got in about an hour. I feel like I have alot to learn for Mapping with this tool tho. I also was kinda disappointed to barely find any stylepacks for Download (for free). Before I bought it I thought there would be a Community with free Resources like with the RPG Maker Community. Perhaps I am wrong tho, if anyone of you has an answer, where I can find more mapping styles (particulary for Cities) for free, I would be happy to hear it. Same goes for free symbols (like more trees etc.). I want to make the best Map possible after all.

Or perhaps anyone of you knows a tutorial how to make those things myself?

I also would like to hear any constructive critic and help you could offer me. I will be updating this thread with my progress, so you can follow my progress in becoming a DM.

Looking forward to hear from you guys.

All the best to you

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspawn28 View Post
    First of all I'd like to welcome you, readers of this text.

I am new in this community, and I haven't even made my introduction Thread yet. That of course will follow but before that happens I'd like to show you why I am here:

My friends and me have decided to play DnD Pen & Paper and I am planning to be a DM in the future. We are starting off with a friend of mine being the DM (she has alot of experience in being just that). So that leaves me time to prepare for my first adventure. In planning this I decided to start off with World Building. Where will the game take place? I wanted to make Maps just for that. So good old me being a traditionalist I got out my Pencils, my rulers and some sheet of paper, and I started off drawing a map:

Name:	DCXf5_lWAAAWbWc.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	160.5 KB 
ID:	96538

It was the very first town map I ever started to draw. I was okay with it, it wasn't a master piece. But while I was satisfied for the beginning I wanted it to look much better than it does. Thus I looked for mapping tools online and acquired Campaign Cartographer 3 + City Designer 3 & Dungeon Designer 3.

That was yesterday and I started working on my map.

Name:	DCXiGmAXkAAJ4p1.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	131.4 KB 
ID:	96539

That is how far I got in about an hour. I feel like I have alot to learn for Mapping with this tool tho. I also was kinda disappointed to barely find any stylepacks for Download (for free). Before I bought it I thought there would be a Community with free Resources like with the RPG Maker Community. Perhaps I am wrong tho, if anyone of you has an answer, where I can find more mapping styles (particulary for Cities) for free, I would be happy to hear it. Same goes for free symbols (like more trees etc.). I want to make the best Map possible after all.

Or perhaps anyone of you knows a tutorial how to make those things myself?

I also would like to hear any constructive critic and help you could offer me. I will be updating this thread with my progress, so you can follow my progress in becoming a DM.

Looking forward to hear from you guys.

All the best to you
    Oh hi, Darkspawn! (Loved Dragon Age btw!)

Good on you for taking on this challenge.

I have to say I don't own CC3, so I do all my mapping on GIMP which is a free alternative to Photoshop. If you ever try that program out, I make brushes(can be translated as symbols.) for things left right and centre for it. It is quite easy if you know how.
    But I will say this about making brushes or symbols. If you learn how to do it, it helps to make different versions of it, a bigger pool to choose from, for example, a tree or a building. It breaks the repitition and is easier on the eyes. Though there are exceptions where if you feel it need a different touch then awesome. But be free to ask questions and discuss things that you are wondering about, it helps greatly in the process.

Now for the maps you posted. Maybe try and look at google earth photos of how houses are placed together. It will start you thinking.
    Like for example. Where I live in South Africa, each house is more likely to have a yard. Then in England, where I worked for two years, you are more likely to see rows of buildings built together in a row, as space is more limited(though there are exceptions). In Europe I've seen a lot of places where buildings are built in box shapes with a central courtyard in the middle.(People like their gathering places, it would seem. Hehe )

It's part of the reason why I feel some of your houses are placed together strangely(at places! Not all are strangely placed. ).

One tip I've learned when creating maps for DnD type stuff. Adventure hooks ARE IMPORTANT. "Oh there is an abandoned building there, wonder what is inside?" "Oh there is a completely dried up well there, do you think there is a secret behind it?" or the like.

I hope this brought some insight. Just one thing though, a lot of the advice on this guild, is just that, advice. It helps a lot more times than not. But it is still your choice how you use the advice we give.

Goodluck and have fun,
    Omri

(P.S. It gets easier to post on this site once you've gone over 5 posts. I was worried when I started out. Just a random tip.)
    Last edited by XCali; 06-17-2017 at 11:51 AM.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Hi Darkspawn28. There are in fact quite a few free resources for Campaign Cartographer 3+ over on the Profantasy website. They are called the CSUAC and the Dundjinni Archives, and there is also Bogie's Mapping Objects. These resources are MASSIVE so I hope you have unlimited bandwidth.

If you go to the Profantasy website and click on the forum tag under "websites", it will take you to their forums where the links are located. Once there, make sure you are on the "Discussions" tag. There should be a thread titled "Interesting, important, and helpful topics-Free Symbols, Resources, Tutorials & More. Click on this link and it will take you to a whole bunch of helpful things for exactly what you are looking for.

Welcome to the Cartographer's Guild.

Guild Apprentice Guild Sponsor The_Sleeping_Dragon's Avatar

http://www.michaeldelahaye.com/uploa...96638_orig.jpg
    https://www.bastideum.fr/upload/imag...ith_Godard.jpg
    http://www.losviajeros.com/images/no...Carcasona1.gif
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...7ae965b3bc.jpg
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...5d4e2e9519.jpg

I think the best type of town to start with is a French Bastide

They are walled towns from the time England occupied Gascony

They are grids but lots of interesting buildings archways, churches, towers, temples for Templars and turrets even walled roof gardens

Great fun to start with as a completely enclosed community and then you have several other bastides nearby eg Belves etc so suddenly you have a potential rivalry

Then this link may help

Bastides have cellars, secret passages, even dungeons

This link may help too
    https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Old_maps_of_cities
    Just a starter