Thread: Convincing pits and waterfalls from aerial view?

Help Convincing pits and waterfalls from aerial view?

Hey guys,

I'm working on a new campaign that takes place on a large island floating through space - the idea being that this island is the little bit of land magicly preserved after a cataclysm destroyed the globe. Part of this land contains a large sea that spills off the edge of the land into a giant waterfall.

So a few questions-

How do I handle the coastline of this land if there isn't a sea as much as a drop off into space, and what sort of coloration would make sense for this?

How can I create a convincing waterfall off the edge of the land in a hand drawn aesthetic?

I'm using gimp btw
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by carooboe View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm working on a new campaign that takes place on a large island floating through space - the idea being that this island is the little bit of land magicly preserved after a cataclysm destroyed the globe. Part of this land contains a large sea that spills off the edge of the land into a giant waterfall.

So a few questions-

How do I handle the coastline of this land if there isn't a sea as much as a drop off into space, and what sort of coloration would make sense for this?

How can I create a convincing waterfall off the edge of the land in a hand drawn aesthetic?

I'm using gimp btw
    Thanks!
    Assuming the map is top-down and not isometric....

WRT the edge - a nice technique I have seen before but can;t find an example of right now is to have your floating island terrain end with a crisp line then put a blurred background representing the terrain way down below on the layer below ...

For the waterfall - I'd suggest much the same - streams starting sharp and ending up blurred, and add lots of mist coming off the waterfall. Also assuming it will be coloured, remember turbulent water ends up white looking as it breaks around objects and speeds up, so add in those details - here is one kind of example showing what I mean: https://www.cartographersguild.com/a...4&d=1361074187

-Rob A>

Maybe I can help a bit with the waterfall bit of this problem?

This is not a perfect example, but it roughly shows the basic white water concept.

I should think that the blur difference RobA describes will do the rest