Thread: Greetings, Fellow Human Beings!

Default Greetings, Fellow Human Beings!

Hello, all! I had no idea a place like this even existed, so I'm glad to have found one. XD

I've always loved maps, going back to middle school and reading Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings trilogy, following along with members of the fellowship on their journey. I loved it, and have appreciated the help of such visual aids in other fantasy novels that I've read over the years.

I've tried my hand at making maps before, but with no real knowledge of whether or not the worlds I've idly drawn bear any semblance of "realism" in terms of how terrain spreads and the like.

I'm currently working on developing a fantasy world for a book series I'd like to write, but have no idea where to even start. I'm not 100% comfortable with just drawing blotches on paper and filling in the white space with random settlements and terrain, but I also have no experience with cartography software. I want to lend a sense of geographical realism to the maps I make, an area I understand a lot of authors lack in.

In short, I'm here to learn, and to create, and hopefully produce a satisfying world in which to place the developing narrative in my mind and heart.

Hello and welcome! You've come to the right place to learn. There are tons of threads on terrain spreads, geography, plate tectonics, just about everything you would ever need to know. I'm new myself and I can't stay away from this page for long. Have fun!
    ~ whisper