Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Ravaged Reaches

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Map The Ravaged Reaches

This was my entry for the January 2018 Challenge. I went for a scifi-fantasy post-apocalyptic setting and used a - by my standards - rather desaturated color palette.

Inspirations were the Vagrant series, the Broken Empire series, older maps by myself and a variety of other influences.

the_ravaged_reaches_by_stratomunchkin-dc22fwz.jpg
    Last edited by Wired; 02-04-2018 at 05:05 AM.

Guild Apprentice

Like I said in the WIP, I love this map! The way the cities and points of interest are actually drawn, instead of as icons, is kinda unique for a scifi setting.

Plus, the disparity between the bloodred mountains and the desaturated wasteland is a nice contrast.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I absolutely love love love this map. I think it would've won January's challenge for sure if you'd finished it in time, Wired. I love the color scheme; how each unique town or location tells a story just be the way it looks; and the whole feel of it - definite fantasy/scifi/horror meld vibe. Gives me the feeling of the first (good) part of the Dark Tower series.

And I get to rep it again!

edit: I did spot a typo - on the eastern edge of the map, I'm assuming you meant "towards the Ashlands"?

Quote Originally Posted by micaholism View Post
    Like I said in the WIP, I love this map! The way the cities and points of interest are actually drawn, instead of as icons, is kinda unique for a scifi setting.

Plus, the disparity between the bloodred mountains and the desaturated wasteland is a nice contrast.
    Thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I absolutely love love love this map. I think it would've won January's challenge for sure if you'd finished it in time, Wired.
    Thank you again, Diamond. Well someone *cough* *cough* could maybe nominate it for the CC...?
    I love the color scheme; how each unique town or location tells a story just be the way it looks; and the whole feel of it - definite fantasy/scifi/horror meld vibe. Gives me the feeling of the first (good) part of the Dark Tower series.
    And I get to rep it again!
    It's strange how much conscious effort it takes me not to go for the fully saturated schemes! As for the locations, I used some that I had in mind for my Moonfall setting (the old Mars maps), and the rest more or less organically appeared after that, like the Brethren Cities: two landed/crashed enemy spaceships, each hostile to the other, but each in some way dependent upon the other; or the Necropolis, where an order prays and labours in the shadow of a sealed bunker of the Builders, trying to find a way to open it because they think salvation lies within. Now, wise minds might object that "If the Builders of all people sealed that thing shut, maybe, just maybe, they had good reason to do so?"
    edit: I did spot a typo - on the eastern edge of the map, I'm assuming you meant "towards the Ashlands"?
    Thank you, I corrected that!
    Last edited by Wired; 02-04-2018 at 08:37 AM.

Unusual, but very beautiful. Those icons are gorgeous

I think I already repped it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Unusual, but very beautiful. Those icons are gorgeous

I think I already repped it?
    I think you did, Sue.

That was fast! I agree with Diamond about the challenge .

I just love all the different places and the ideas behind them. And this style is really yours and unique, it has something special to me.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Blaidd Drwg's Avatar

I'm not sure how I managed to overlook this one during the voting. Very beautiful and a unique style.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapiento View Post
    Full of life and ideas!
    Thank you, Robert!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    That was fast! I agree with Diamond about the challenge .

I just love all the different places and the ideas behind them. And this style is really yours and unique, it has something special to me.
    Thank you very much for these kind words, Ilanthar.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaidd Drwg View Post
    I'm not sure how I managed to overlook this one during the voting. Very beautiful and a unique style.
    I assume it's probably because it wasn't finished back then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast