Thread: The Continent and Unbroken lands

Map The Continent and Unbroken lands

Hi all,

It's been a while since I posted here but I am starting to get back into mapping with my new computer. The below were made with Photoshop and I used brushes from the cartographer guild Deviant page - "cartography_brushes_by_eragon". Thanks for looking, these are complete and in use but I would like to know any pointers for future maps I make!

Continent.jpgCoastline.jpg

Thanks again and I hope to continue to improve.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Well, why don’t you try to experiment with a more detailed map including bio masses, different topographical features like mountains, hills, swamps, etc?

Would love to see even this maps you did with all those details.

"Apporximation" and "Imperical" are misspelled (s/b "approximation" and "imperial"). Otherwise, I think that the main thing the maps could use is just more to them. There's a lot of unused or barely used area on those maps that could be filled with... well, something. Cities, resource locations, cheese-producing centers, terrain features, little bits of art, possibly a scale or compass. The second map has a huge amount of sea for no apparent reason at all. The windroses keep it from being entirely empty, but they are completely pointless on a map that is only good for coast-hugging since only one coast appears. What to add depends on what the maps are supposed to be for, but with so much emptiness, they don't seem complete. The national borders work well and the mountain range is very nice. Basically, they're both good starts, but they cry out for something more.

Quote Originally Posted by stanlei View Post
    Well, why don’t you try to experiment with a more detailed map including bio masses, different topographical features like mountains, hills, swamps, etc?

Would love to see even this maps you did with all those details.
    Thanks I agree it’s a little on the bland side. I will try to add more detail to my maps going forward. Thanks again for the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    "Apporximation" and "Imperical" are misspelled (s/b "approximation" and "imperial"). Otherwise, I think that the main thing the maps could use is just more to them. There's a lot of unused or barely used area on those maps that could be filled with... well, something. Cities, resource locations, cheese-producing centers, terrain features, little bits of art, possibly a scale or compass. The second map has a huge amount of sea for no apparent reason at all. The windroses keep it from being entirely empty, but they are completely pointless on a map that is only good for coast-hugging since only one coast appears. What to add depends on what the maps are supposed to be for, but with so much emptiness, they don't seem complete. The national borders work well and the mountain range is very nice. Basically, they're both good starts, but they cry out for something more.

Thanks for he feedback, it’s a little embarrassing about the spelling mistakes:S. I like your idea about adding some art or other details to the blank area, I only wanted to show the coast and was struggleing with what to do with the extra empty space.