Thread: Ashar Daerora (redo)

Default Ashar Daerora (redo)

Hello everyone

I've made this map for the February 2021 Challenge which consisted in redoing an old map.

After a big break from making maps because 2020 happened, I wanted to get back to it and participating in the challenges once again because I really missed it. The redo challenge was the perfect opportunity at the perfect time for me to do so.

The old one was made 2 years ago with wonderdraft. Since then, I've learned a lot and slowly transitioned from wonderdraft to photoshop and hand drawing, mostly due to participating in other challenges and experimenting new things while making those maps. A lot of those experiments will never see the light of day, however, I don't see them as mistakes but more as a necessary process to become a better artist. I still have a lot to learn but I'm really happy to see what I have achieved in two years.

Here is the old one:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ashar Daerora Colored portfolio.png 
Views:	103 
Size:	2.33 MB 
ID:	128750

And here is the redo:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ashar Daerora - Cédric H. The Fantasy Maps Forge.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	2.87 MB 
ID:	128751

I’ve made one small change from the last version that I submitted in the challenge to make the labels easier to read.

I hope you’ll like it.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Definitely a great improvement ! Congratulations !
    I love your "discrete" lineart and coloration, very powerful

Thank you -JO-

It is a style that I naturally tend towards and I have a lot of fun doing it. I'm happy to see others like it as well.

This is a gem! I especially like the detail on the shields (just the right amount) and the short of dream link roundness of the mountains.

Great map! I particularly like the shields and forests.

I'm so late to this, life and stuff, you know.

This was well worth the win in February, the ethereal feel and clean presentation tickle me to no end. Your style of variation keeps it interesting throughout, nicely done.

IR

An incredible improvement, and a great map even without that context. I like the subtle colour scheme and absolutely love the little shields. The lineart could maybe be a tad stronger in my opinion, but otherwise the look is really solid. Lovely work!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.