Thread: July Challenge: Dragon Isle Nature Sanctuary

Default July Challenge: Dragon Isle Nature Sanctuary

We thought that we knew how the world worked. Things made sense. Then some fancy new weather satellite spotted that, that THING out in the western sea where nobody else had seen it before. An octagon kilometers across? Really? Mountains higher than rock can physically support and without any sort of tectonic underpinnings. In that wacky shape, too. The first expedition hit the shores and were immediately set upon by all manner of giant flying lizards. Lizards! Hundreds of them! There's no possible way that things like that can fly! Nobody made it back, but the cameras were transmitting when the landing force arrived. The government tried to hush it all up, but that went about as well as most government actions. Then the religious whackjobs got wind of it and a picture from somewhere and have been posting these things all over the city. The boys at the capitol declared it a nature sanctuary to make it a criminal offense to land there. Not that folks don't keep trying, of course.
    Maybe the holy rollers are right. Maybe it is something supernatural. But after what I saw happen to that expedition, I don't think it's been provided out of love. Nope, not love...
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dragonisle_sm.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	623.2 KB 
ID:	130708

And my thanks to the anonymous donor of the purportedly public domain clipart that makes up the pretty parts of that picture. If it wasn't intended to be public domain and you got ripped off by some web site, I'd like to apologize in advance for any inconvenience I may have caused.