Thread: Hallo!

Default Hallo!

Hi everybody,

I go by the name of Alhandra here and I am from the Netherlands.
    I started very recently with drawing maps and dungeons after I rolled back in Dungeons and Dragons after a long pause.
    (I just needed to find my people )

I mostly post them on my instagram under almost the same name (Alhandra_ws) but that is not only maps but also all my other hobbies which include swordfighting or HEMA, reenactment, hiking and a bit of photography.
    I stumbled over the cartographers guild in the very beginning of my search but was too hesitant to say hi back then, now it's a new year and I just decided, what the heck and come along for the ride.

I mostly draw with pen on paper after which I scan the lineart and color it digitally.
    I might try drawing everything digitally in the future but I love my sketchbook so much.

Hope to learn a lot here, and find inspiration from all of you.

I'll add a map I did recently (I hope I get the image attached right)

It's the city of Arabel, from the forgotten realms setting, only it is a home brew version of said city. Our DM likes to use the existing map but homebrew the content and she asked if I could draw a map of my character's home town. It is not the finished piece, I later added a key and some other information to it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arabel_mini_square.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	947.3 KB 
ID:	132324

Hi, welcome to the guild!

Your Arabel map has a very good atmosphere and feeling. I really like the sepia tones, and the entire maps looks very good.

Feel free to ask if you need advices and don't hesitate to post your maps on the forum.

Welkom! I have roots in the Netherlands so it's always nice to see a Dutch person join.

Really nice map, I don't really have any criticism for it. I love the simplicity and the antique style. It's a map you should be proud of!
    Looking forward to seeing more of your maps

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Welcome to the guild. I really like the map, the colour palette is nice and so is the town layout.
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

I just joined the the Lite Challange because it was really inspiring.
    Thanks for the feedback I still struggle a lot with the scaling of maps and scale overall, very tricky if you ask me.

Thanks!

Hey Alhandra! I really like your map and just the whole aesthetic it has. Very nicely done! I definitely look forward to seeing more of your work. And if you have any questions about making the switch to digital, don’t hesitate to reach out. I did several years ago and haven’t looked back!

- Josh

Thanks Josh!

I sometimes work digitally, I have a wacom bamboo that I use with a graphics program on my laptop, I might get a new laptop in the near future and then I can update my programs too... they are still from 2015-ish when I was using the programs in college.

I just followed the link under your post to see, and realized that when I started looking in making fantasy maps I used a lot of your tutorials that I found on pintrest.
    It is nice to meet you here 'in person'

If I ever switch over completely I know where to find the right people